Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An open book


To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something
beautiful, ready always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry.
~ Gaston Bachelard ~


I have the perfect job. Really, I do. Where else can I share my enthusiasm for the next book in the Twilight series? Where else can I share my love for a beautifully-turned phrase? Where else can I share life lessons that you can learn through a simple mockingbird? And while I love August through May, I also love June and July. My bookshelf fills up quickly with books that I've not had time to read during the school year because I'm too busy reading books on educationing (a term borrowed from my brother-in-law).

Books to read this summer (The short list)

1. A Walk in the Woods
Bill Bryson, a natural storyteller, is one of the funniest men in America. In this book, he shares his experiences hiking the Appalachian Trail.

2. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built
This is the latest novel in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. There's usually a new novel just in time for summer. I first discovered the series after I returned from a trip to Uganda, and while it's set in Botswana, it still seems familiar to me. HBO has recently created a series based on the books. You'll love them!

3. The Red Tent
This story, based on the Biblical character Dinah, looked very interesting to me. Since Dinah is one of the silent characters in the Bible, I'm curious to see how Anita Diamant weaves her story. (Thanks, Joann for lending it to me.)

Books that Inspire Me
(The abbreviated version)

1. The Glass Castle
I love this book! A memoir by Jeannette Walls, it is full of funny anecdotes about her childhood. What I most love is the writer's voice--she grew up in poverty, but she is a when-life-gives-you-lemons-make-lemonade kind of girl. Her optimism is amazing, really. This book is so good it'll have you passing it along to all of your friends.

2. The Kite Runner By Khaled Hosseini
By now most everyone has probably read this book, so no need to say much other than it has numerous examples of the beautifully-turned phrase that I spoke of earlier. When I first read this book, Darrell got tired of my reading "just this one passage" to him.

3. A Prayer for Owen Meaney By John Irving
I love a good story, and this is one of the finest I've ever read. You may be familiar with the story if you've seen the movie Simon Burch, a loose adaptation of the book.

4. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane By Kate DiCamillo
This children's book tells the story of a china rabbit who learns the valuable lesson that it's not all about him. It's a book about unconditional love and redemption. Oh, and your kids will like it too:-)

What should I be reading? I would love to hear suggestions. Let me know what book inspires you.

2 comments:

Warford Family said...

For the record, I did not lend you that book. I wanted it out of my house. It is perverse! It is yours to keep.

Lisa said...

Your strong reaction to The Red Tent interested me, so I went to Amazon.com to read reviews. From what I saw, most people either loved or hated it. So I'll proceed with caution.