Tomorrow night will mark the close of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. I hate to see them go. For as long as I can remember, I've watched the games with my family. We fell in love with the athletes, cheering so loudly (when the 1984 men's gymnastics team beat the Chinese) that the neighbors came to check on us.
After the 1976 winter games, my sister and I both got the most popular hairstyle that year: the Dorothy Hamill. We were living in Wyoming at the time, and I remember our Girl Scout troop going to the ice rink to learn how to skate. Olympic gold was the coveted prize that many of us dreamed of.
So as the Vancouver games skate into the history books, I'll remember some special moments including Canadian Joannie Rochette's brave bronze-medal performance. Hers and other courageous performances like these listed below will live forever in our memories, a nice reminder of the resilience of the human spirit.
Unforgettable Olympic Moments
6. Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10 at the Montreal Olympics
5. The magic of Gordeeva and Grinkov
4. Dan Jansen's 1994 comeback
3. Derek Redmond's lesson in perseverance
2. The real Dream Team
1. Vaulting the women's gymnastic team to gold
I don't know about you, but I'm counting the days until the summer games in London.
No comments:
Post a Comment